This is not very active, if you want follow me, follow this one:
The Who fandom’s inability to comprehend that Davies’ creation and handling of the Time War was massively problematic and that Moffat ending that arc in a way that made the victims actually matter and allowed the Doctor to avoid repeating genocide is…bothersome.
Sorry, that’s the wrong word. I meant infuriating.
I just noticed you said you've met Steven Moffat. What is he like? (Sorry, I've just been assuming he's lovely for years without having any proof and I want to know if I'm wrong or not).
Yup I have indeed met Steven Moffat! And you know what? He was absolutely lovely. Genuinely one of the most wonderful and humble people I have met - certainly the most inspiring and comfortable to be around writer I have ever met.
Just a bit of background, Moffat’s era of Who pretty much saved my life. No, not pretty much, it did. 100% saved it. I was living in a youth mental hospital at the time and I had actually overdosed on some painkillers I stole one time, which obviously failed in killing me, and was planning on trying again until I by chance reached ‘The Eleventh Hour’ in my Doctor Who marathon. Since ‘The Stolen Earth’ I was unfortunately kinda disillusioned about Doctor Who and Russel’s writing. Apart from the glorious ‘Waters of Mars’, the specials were frankly god awful - and I’m not directly saying that it had an impact on my suicide attempt, but it certainly wasn’t giving me something to keep me going. And ‘The Eleventh Hour’ gave me that. In bucket loads. It gave me that in the music, in the story, in the direction, in the tone, but most of all in the writing. In the dialogue. In the characters. And through watching Amelia Pond grow and learn from the very same issues I had, to become a kind beautiful compassionate woman literally saved me. Because if Amy can do it, so can I. Moffats Who gave me a reason to live. So naturally meeting him was going to be overwhelming - not least because it took me by surprise.
It was actually in a hotel corridor in London that I met him. He just walked past me while I was on my way to breakfast and honestly I nearly slammed into a wall. I ended up awkwardly calling his name and bolting towards him. It was super exciting and I was super nervous and bolty and I was terrified he’d think I was a nutter but he was so lovely I swear.
I told him that I was a fan of Doctor Who, that I loved his work and that his writing had had a massive impact on my life and had brought me joy at a time I didn’t think there could be joy in my life. He told me that it brought him joy to know that his version of Doctor Who had the same impact on me that the classic series had on him as a child. We actually then started talking a little bit about internet hate and things because from his response, I told him I was sorry that he was bullied as a child (because I could relate to the bullying situation so so well) to which he replied that he’s used to it even as an adult because of twitter and tumblr and the internet and their accusatory hate that goes with it I had to remind him that no matter what people think of him, he saved a girls life with his writing and that’s the important thing. He told me that I had made his week. (incidentally him saying that made my year. Yes I did tear up in front of him…) I then did the typical ‘asking for advice’ thing, because although I’m predominantly an artist, I would really love to write too, and he told me to write for yourself. First and foremost. Writing needs to be for you. It needs to be a story you want to hear, and if not write about yourself. Write about your life. Turn your life into a metaphor and turn those metaphors into metaphors and then some. idk I’m putting it a bit more poetically than he did and he said a lot more (specifically more personal stuff concerning my life that I won’t write here) but damn was he inspiring. And humble. And shy. And totally completely lovely.
That’s why I get so upset when people call him an arrogant cocky pretentious sexist douche-bag. Because he is just so so not. He is the antithesis to ‘arrogant’ like he is genuinely painfully humble its almost upsetting. He’s not sexist either. I don’t know him personally of course, but I’m sure I know him better than a majority of his haters on tumblr, and, in the space of five minutes, he managed to sub verse all of the disgusting attributes tumblr pins him down with. So seeing death threats and hate and vitriol, on a very personal level, angers me. More than that, it hurts me.
So yes Sal, you are correct in thinking that Steven Moffat is lovely. It absolutely pains me, to the point of tears, that tumblr is so judgmental and vehement in its mob mentality style hatred of him. Because he doesn’t deserve it. As a traumatically bullied child, not to mention a cyber-harassed, mocked and traumatically bullied adult, he simply doesn’t deserve it.
Steven Moffat was one of many reasons I didn’t kill myself. Not the only or most important but he was significant.
That doesn’t mean that he is perfect, that his work is perfect, or that people should not criticise him.
But you have to remember that most virulent criticism of “geek royalty” doesn’t just hurt the “geek royalty”. It doesn’t even primarily hurt them. It hurts people like OP and myself. People who aren’t that socially powerful, people who cling to problematic but beautiful art (yes, TV is art) to help us literally survive. Be angry at representation issues all you want but remember that this is not an excuse to harass people (even powerful people.) And it’s certainly not an excuse to harass fans (many of whom are LITERALLY CHILDREN, and who find the works they are fans of important to their literal survival.)
I will defend Steven Moffat, Joss Whedon, J.K. Rowling, John and Hank Green, and a host of problematic powerful dudes, not primarily for THEIR sake but for the sake of people like the OP. Incredibly lonely people finding solace in things, even if those things are flawed. People who are often very young. Who are often teenage girls (a group society shits on a lot.) There are members of fandom royalty people I have little to no regard for and don’t want to defend (Lady Gaga, Ryan Murphy, Russel T Davies, JJ Abrams, Martin Freeman, Tyler Oakley, Eric Kripke) but I still think it’s important that people are allowed to like them. Because liking things, even deeply flawed things, can literally keep people alive.
Criticism can be important and nourishing too. Sometimes. So I’m told. Personally I don’t find it helpful, but other people do. But people have a right to get angry about things if it helps. But when you descend to personal harassment of creators that’s not okay. And when you descend to making a mentally ill teenager feel guilty about loving a story that helped her stay alive, you need to look at your life and look at your choices REALLY FUCKING HARD.
People are personally offended that I like Moffat Who and have told me so, on anon and off it. People are personally offended that I used a story to help me cope with suicidal ideation. If you are one of those people, unfollow me now.
ay yo it’s giveaway time and i have shitloads of merch left from youmacon
please read the rules below before reblogging to make sure your entry gets in!!
- this giveaway ends on january 31st, 2014!
- you must be 18 years or older, or have your parent’s permission if you are under 18!
- you must have your ask box open so i can contact you if you win!
- you must respond within 24 hours! if you don’t i will choose another person!
- one reblog/like is allowed. this will count as two entries per person. also, please only enter from one blog. this means you can enter on either a primary or a secondary, not both. any more than one reblog/like and any more than one blog entered and you will be disqualified. please write it down somewhere or index it on your blog that you reblogged/liked it, so you don’t forget and accidentally enter more than two times. no giveaway blogs, i will check.
- by reblog/like i mean you can do both! each blog is allowed both one reblog and one like! you get two entries!!
- you do not have to be following me, but it is always appreciated!
- there will be three winners. each winner will get to choose one tee from the three designs above (first come, first serve, i only have one of each shirt). each winner will also get to choose three of my ten pin sets available on my storenvy (not all are pictured) and 15 extra randomly chosen pins (a total of 39 pins wow)! you will also get three charms, 3 randomly chosen stickers, and a shitload of bookmarks. i don’t know exactly how many you’ll get but it’ll be a lot.
- winners will be chosen with a random number generator.
- i only have size mediums for all the shirts. i do not have any other sizes available, so please don’t ask.
- you can not choose the fandoms/pin designs you want for the 15 randomly chosen pins. i will do this for you. though if there is a particular fandom that triggers you for some reason, please let me know (because i know hannibal can be a pretty sensitive subject to some people)
- i ship worldwide! you do not have to pay for shipping, i will cover that!
- if there is anything else you want to know that isn’t covered above, please don’t hesitate to shoot me an ask!
- asks that have already been answered regarding this giveaway can be found here
YOOOO. TIME FOR AN EPIC POKEMON GIVEAWAY.
Since I’ve basically dived face first back into the Pokemon fandom, I feel like I should celebrate this. Just in time for the holiday season, too. I’m gonna be giving away all this awesome stuff to one lucky grand prize winner. There will be two runner up prizes too!
The stuff;Choice of either Pokemon X or Pokemon Y, physical copy.
One Fennekin, one Froakie, one Chespin Tomy plush.
One Pokemon TCG Sylveon Collection box.
One Sylveon Super DX plush.
Choice of any English/Japanese/Korean/etc Pokemon TCG booster box(es) under $100.
The two runners up will receive their choice of Fennekin, Froakie, or Chespin plushies and a Sylveon collection box.
- Both reblogs and likes count.
- Follow me for an extra chance at winning. - Absolutely no giveaway blogs. That’s just unfair.
- Reblog as much as you’d like but be considerate of your followers!
- I’ll ship anywhere in the galaxy.
- MAKE SURE YOUR ASK BOX IS OPEN. I can’t stress this enough.
- If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. My ask box is always open.
The giveaway will end on January 1st, 2014 at whatever time I wake up that day. I’ll get my dad to pick three random numbers and those three will be the winners. :3
Good luck to all~
yoho yoho a lawyer’s life for me
I wanted to host an Ace Attorney giveaway alongside my other one, this being The Big Haul I guess. What you’ll win is every single game in the series that’s been released outside of Japan, although only followers will receive the newest, Ace Attorney 5, available through digital download.
It doesn’t matter if you’ve played them all or if you’re new to the series and want to try it out, all I’m hoping is that you’ll enjoy each copy! u v u
- One reblog, one like.
- Followers will receive Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies as well.
- The games are European, but they’re all regular DS games and the DS console is not region locked, so you’ll be able to enjoy them regardless.
- That said, I’ll ship anywhere!
- Keep ask boxes open, and please reply within 2 days or I’ll pick another winner.
It ends on the same date as the other one, Dec 25!
such things, very stuff
I’m giving away some cuddly Pokémon, the first prize being a shiny life size Magikarp. It’s an expensive piece of fish so it’s not easy to get your hands on. Whoever wins, will receive the Magikarp, and whoever gets picked second will receive the Dedenne pictured below it. I’m willing to part with both, so no sad faces, my dears!!
- One reblog, one like.
- Followers will get one more prize, winner and runner-up both.
- I’ll ship anywhere.
- Keep ask boxes open and reply within 2 days if you’ve been picked, or I’ll pick another.
- Giveaway ends on Dec 25! (jingles bells)
( ´ v `)/